A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies have a pre-designated lifespan after which they will expire.
Third-party service cookies
Social sharing, video and other services we offer are run by other companies. These companies may drop cookies on your computer when you use them on our site or if you are already logged in to them.
- Facebook’s data use policy: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info-on-other
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/legal/cookies/
- Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/cookie_policy
Our own ad serving and management cookies
From time to time we sell space on our websites to advertisers – they pay for the content you enjoy for free.
As part of this, we use several services to help us and advertisers understand what adverts you might be interested in. These cookies hold information about the computer, not hold personal information about you although they might hold a record of what other websites you’ve looked at – so we could show you a car advert if you’ve previously visited a motoring website.
Other ad management cookies
Advertisements on the Website are provided by other organisations. Our advertising partners will serve advertisements that they believe are most likely to be of interest to you, based on information about your visit to the Website and other websites. In order to do this, our advertising partner may need to place a cookie on your computer. Again, these cookies hold information about the computer not about you.
For more information about this type of online behavioural advertising, about cookies, and about how to turn this feature off, please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/
Please note that turning off advertising cookies won’t mean that you are not served any advertising merely that it will not be tailored to your interests.